Garrett House hasn’t always been on Caroline Street. In fact, it started out as two separate houses, which—after being combined—were located at the corner of Houston and Eva Streets.
A brief history of the premises:
- The earliest known owner of the house was H. F. Sanders, whose ownership was noted just before its sale on October 1st, 1908.
- V. D. Rabon assumed ownership of the house on February 1st, 1915. It became a rental property under Mrs. Rabon’s ownership.
- The H. P. Fullen family rented the house from 1939-1946.
- In 1946, Mrs. Rabon sold the house to H. P. Fullen, who maintained ownership of the property until 1982.
- In October 1982, the Fullen heirs sold the house to M. F. and M. E. Maghee.
- In 2003, the house was sold by the Maghees to Joe Shockley—to be moved and restored.